MOM'S NIGHTMARE CAME TRUE...
I think it is every mom's worst nightmare; to hand your child over to someone else knowing that they will return to you in pain. Of course I know that Reagan needed to have the surgery to put the tubes in place and remove his adnoids. 8 ear infections have proved that to be true. However, I still worried about every aspect of the surgery and recovery.
Reagan is and always has been a trooper. He woke up in a great mood, did not complain one bit about skipping breakfast, snack and lunch by the time the surgery was complete, he was content to play with the toys in the waiting area and read the books that Grandma Hamm bought for him. Then reality set in.
We were called back 4 times to do vitals, talk to nurses and then doctors and so forth. Each time we went back he was a little more upset. He had to leave a police car and more in the waiting area and that was not what he wanted to do. Inside the "holding area" Reagan saw another little boy about his size screaming. The boy was doing a breathing treatment before his surgery. Reagan was so concerned about that child. He pointed and looked at him and I tried to my best to explain that he was sad and scared, but that he would feel better soon.
Last night Reagan and I read the before surgery guide together and we talked about what was going to happen and how he would feel funny, but that I would be there when he woke up. He listened so intently and shook his head and pointed to pictures as if he understood each word I was saying.
When it was time to go Reagan got in a red wagon with his yellow blankie (my baby blanket) and his meercat puppet and we were off. The nurses pulled him down the hallway as Preston and I turned off to the left. I did not hear him crying, but the nurses stated later that he was very upset when he arrived alone. The surgery was quick and went well according to the doctor. What should have taken around 30 minutes took around 15 or 20 and then we were called back to meet him in recovery.
Well, Reagan woke up before we were able to get to him in recovery. When I first turned the corner I heard the nurse say that he was not waking up well. He was literally thrashing, sweating and SCREAMING. He did not even look like Reagan to me. I held him thrashing and screaming for an hour and 15 minutes. I tried all my tricks before they administerd some more pain meds, but it did not seem to do the trick either. According to the doctor some people do fine with "a few drinks" they get sleepy and relax and others punch holes in the wall. Apparently Reagan should not drink. The doctor said this type of reaction would probably happen again if he is put to sleep and would be similar on drugs such as Benedryl. We will not be experimenting with that at home. My muscles in my back, calves and biceps are sore. This was my worst nightmare. I did not want him to wake up in pain, in a strange place with out me.
After about an hour and a half he was exhausted. He fell asleep on my shoulder and slept, wimpering for about another 30 minutes or so. He woke up to the sound of another child crying. Reagan was back...he pointed and said "uh." Again, he was concerned about another child and why they were upset. It was then I knew I had my Reagan back. Thank GOD! After a few more vitals, an apple juice box and a grape popsicle we were ready to go home. He wanted to be held of course, not poked on or touched any more, but he was ready to go too. He slept most of the way home still sweating.
When we arrived Reagan ate a full bowl of fruit and some blueberry yogurt and sat with Grandma Malone as he watched some of his favorite television shows. He slept quite a bit this afternoon still waking screaming in between periods of rest. Hopefully he will wake feeling much better this next go round. He is not a fan of the 3 medications he needs to take at this point so that is our next struggle. He just wants to be snuggled not "messed with."
So, on that note. I am off to make my child a healthy dinner that is easy to swallow and filling too. Catfish is on the menu.
If all goes well, we will visit with the doctor again in 4 weeks. Please keep Reagan in your prayers. This whole event has been tough. He needs a break and some good health!
Monday, July 23, 2007
Posted by J Taylor at 4:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment