Sunday, February 28, 2010

WINGS AND TRUCKS...
It was an hour and a half drive for me and mom before picking up dad and driving to Wings and More (a long, long way away.) Uncle Jeff was there and so was Charles Benns. Charles drives Pit-Bull. It was pretty amazing to see the truck up close and meet the driver too. Dad got the inside scoop on the sponsorships, the cost involved in repair and events. Turns out it cost more than $1,500 per tire and if the tire breaks off (they are tethered) the cost of repair is more than $4,000. I can promise that no fewer than 8 tires pop off during a show. I guess that is why the sponsorships are so important. You have to be in the top 40 to be selected to drive in a city like Houston.
Did you notice my face in the first picture...I was in a bit of a foul mood. You see, it was a school night, a long drive and my dad made some interesting comments before we got out of the car. Here are the facts...I love Ninja Turtle. I have his truck, his shirt and his hat. I was wearing his hat in this picture. Well, as we were getting out of the car dad said, "oh, you may not want to wear that hat. Pit Bull might not like that you support a different truck." I was caught of guard, I ripped the hat off and with it went my smile. It took some artery clogging food and a sprite to put it back in place. Mom explained the situation to Charles and he shared with me that they are actually friends. Charles helped Ninja Turtle get started a few years back. Not that we know that many Monster Jam truck drivers, but Charles is really an impressive guy. Did you notice his really long hair? He donates it to Locks of Love. He also donates to Children's Hospitals particularly one in New Mexico. It was nice to hear how he gives back to the community.

0 comments: