UPDATE(5/6/10 pm):
We visited with Reagan's ENT this afternoon. He reviewed the cat scan with me and it appears that all but one "room" if you will in Reagan's sinuses are blocked. All of the sinuses in the frontal regions including all of the sinuses in his cheek areas are blocked. The ones further back in his head appear to be more clear. Basically, all you could see on the scan was black. The good news is he does not have any malformations, or issues that can be seen on the cat scan that would result in the cronic sinus infections. His ears are clear. The Dr. believes that our best bet at this time is to return to the allergist and do another level of allergy testing (the first round was negative.) The less than good news is even if he were to do the surgery the problem will most likely reoccur especially if allergy issues are the cause of these problems. We have an appointment for this testing next week. The ENT called Reagan a difficult case because of the many different possibilities. He has reactive airways (or asthma), what we believe are allergies, history with ear infections and now these chronic sinus infections. He does not want to do the surgery given it is a complicated procedure as far as the healing goes if he is not certain it will help long term. The other thing to consider is Reagan's quality of life. Most children or even adults with the sinus problems that Reagan has run a high fever, have severe headaches or asthma issues due to the infection going to their lungs. Reagan is a happy kiddo. He never complains about his health or feeling bad. However, he is tired, more clingy (especially to his mama), congested and apparently having some hearing issues (from the stuffiness) that are also effecting his speech. After completing the allergy testing, the ENT would like for Reagan to take 5 days of steroids and then wait 5 days before returning to see him again. At this point we will have the allergy testing results and we can reevaluate how Reagan is feeling and his overall "mommy knows best" symptoms. I love how the ENT now believes and warrants what I have to say. He believes the steroids might help him. Even in looking in Reagan's nose today he saw inflammation but the mucus was clear. This is the case on most days. It is a random occasion that Reagan has green mucus (again, what the ENT calls a mystery in the form of a "sinus bowel movement.") It is truly a mystery as to why his sinuses are not draining properly and why the 42 days of antibiotics over the last 3 months have not cleared the infection at this point.
I made an appointment for a second opinion with another ENT (in a separate practice) to hear his suggestions. So...please continue to pray for Reagan's healing. I am certain his is a trooper, but I want him to know what feeling healthy is like. Thank you for your prayers.
UPDATE (5/6/10 am):
I received the cat scan results via phone message yesterday afternoon. Even after 42 days of antibiotics in the last 2.5 months, Reagan has a severe sinus infection in the left side and a moderate to severe sinus infection in the right side of his sinuses. We are returning to see the ENT today in the medical center to discuss our options from this point forward. Before completing the cat scan the doctor mentioned that if the results showed continued infection the best plan would be surgery to clean/suction all of it out. Please be in prayer today for Reagan's healing and the doctor to make the best action plan for him. I am frustrated as I have been telling his ENT for months now that I believed there was an underlying issue to the recurrence and felt Reagan was not hearing/speaking as clearly as he had in the past. Mothers, trust your instincts. No one knows your child better than you. At this point, we can only imagine how long this infection has been growing. I will post more this evening after speaking with the doctor.
So SICK...AND WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT...
Mom can remember when she had a student come to school sick...wait for it now. The coming to school sick part happens all the time, but this little girl was covered in a horrible rash. Mom sent the girl to the nurse who then sent her home. She had scarlet fever. Well, here's where the "never say never" clause comes into effect because my mom said something along the lines of, "I can't believe that mom would send her child to school so sick. How did she not know she had strep throat and why in the world did she not take her child to the doctor before it turned into scarlet fever?" UMMM, mom...did you know that I was sick? NOPE, she did not. I did not complain one bit, no fever, no change in habits; just a bit tired. Mom attributed that to coming off a week of spring break and a time change the week before. Could have been, right? But sadly it was not. I woke up the Saturday before Easter with a temp. of 101.5. Mom instantly thought of sinus infection. I seem to get them as frequently as mom and dad did growing up. If I have a runny nose, despite your best efforts to prevent it, you just know what is next. Mom called Mawmaws because we had planned to head out to the farm to meet every angle of our family. I was lathargic, but did not complain of anything hurting at the time. Mom noticed a scratch on my neck that looked like I had clawed myself in the night, but other than some puffy, dark ringed eyes I was me. She gave me Motrin (which has now been recalled--thanks so much...I took 3/4 a bottle or more of the stuff while I was sick.) and we headed to the farm. Shortly after arriving, mom noticed that the "scratch" had spread and was now all behind my ears and down my neck and my lymph nodes were HUGELY swollen. Lala said I looked like I had the mumps. Couldn't be...I've been vaccinated. Mom tried calling the doctor with no luck and then gave me Benedryl (yep...this has been recalled too.) It didn't work. I was itching, my fever was still there, the rash was spreading down my back and onto my belly and I refused a tractor ride. WHAT? Yes, this is how everyone knew how sick I was. I laughed and played, dyed Easter eggs and hunted them too. I had visited all day, but to refuse my absolute favorite part of the farm was an indication of how I really felt. I WAS SOOO SICK! I did not eat or drink anything worth while and so mom continued to call doctors (ENT, allergist, pedi.) It was time to go home. Finally, Easter Sunday at 8:30 am mom was able to get me into the doctor's after hours clinic. She would not take no for an answer. I am sure they have her on record as being combative, but you just do not come between a mother and a wellness plan for her child. I had strep throat turned scarlet fever, a sinus infection and an ear infection complete with fluid. I started what was my 2nd round of 21 days of antibiotics in 3 months. Yes, I would agree we need a better plan of action. Since that time, my lymph nodes are still swollen (a month later folks,) but my ENT says my ears are now clear. I had a cat scan of my sinuses taken yesterday to confirm that the junk up there is truly gone and we continue to use my preventive asthma medication, saline washes and steroid nose spray. My second round of allergy testing is just around the corner as my first round showed NOTHING! Perhaps my body did not process the Benedryl I was taking for the itchy rash properly. It should be out of your system in 5 days. It had been 6 when I went in for my allergy testing, but all signs point to no. We are ready for some preventatives rather than another round of drugs. We are looking forward to a dry summer and putting the pollen and all the snots to rest. Please pray that I will be healthy, happy and strong in body, mind and spirit.


Monday, May 03, 2010
Posted by J Taylor at 7:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment