Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ON THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS...
This year we enjoyed every bit of the season...right down to the night before Christmas. Mom was just searching for family fun ideas to start new traditions in our home. I was loving every minute, so excited and so exhausted!
We had just returned home from Christmas Eve service and a delicious dinner out with the Malone family when the last of the festivities flared. It was time to sprinkle out the reindeer food. The moon was out and the glittered oats were just what the deer needed to find my house at night. The Shelf Elf had been watching for weeks and he had reported to Santa what a good boy I had been. In fact, I had yelled up the chimney several times myself to be certain that Santa knew what was on my list and to include a few things for my parents too. By the way, this whole Shelf Elf thing is great for kids. It taught me to tattle. I ran to the Shelf Elf every time daddy and I disagreed. I proclaimed in none other than a booming loud voice, "Shelf Elf, my daddy has an attitude to me! He gets no Batman costume, no cookies, no surprises..." My parents giggled I am sure, but this was the real deal for me. If my parents could report to The elf then I could too. Well it was time for the snacks. Aunt Meme and Uncle Mean bought me the perfect plate for serving Santa. It came complete with a note and I knew exactly what Santa wanted to eat. Mom and I had talked about cookies and milk and even a few carrots for the reindeer, but I knew the needed more. He works up an appetite and I did not want him to go hungry on my account. I went right for the pantry and pulled out everything from hot cocoa to coconut. It was truly a masterpiece. In fact we made an extra plate for me. Snacks at bedside at the best! After a few pictures by the tree we were ready for enjoy the books from big grandma. She gave me part of my Christmas present early to enjoy in the days leading up to Christmas. Each night brought a new classic book and this night brought The Night Before Christmas. Mom and dad cheated just a bit...I picked out Roudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, but it was late and mom knew that tale was just a bit long. Dad quickly removed the jacket from the book and wanted and wrapped it around the book they wanted. So sneeky. I enjoyed it anyway. Then I was off to sleep for a whole 7 hours before the morning brought gifts and another day of family fun. Mom and dad still had work to do, cameras to set up and things to arrange. You could say they were exhausted too; and at the end of it all and somewhere in between mom reflected. She knew in her heart that she had to make the REAL meaning of Christmas just as wonderful, special and exciting as Santa. She told me the Christmas story and made extra stops at the houses with nativity scenes out front. Somehow, in all the preparations family gatherings and fun we have to focus on Jesus. We have to find a way to keep HIM at the center of it all. HE is the real reason for the season and everyday that follows. Mom will try just as hard to focus on Jesus this next year. She wants me to know Him and all the truths and have the relationship that follows. Santa is great, but Jesus is even better.


0 comments: