Friday, July 17, 2009

GROWING UP ONE BOUNCE AT A TIME...
I met my long time buddies for a bouncin' good time. Our mom's were wowed and shared how fast we were growing and changing. Funny thing is, with all the time that has passed we picked right back up where we left off some 6 months ago and played so well. I was the perfect gentleman with Miss Julia showing her how to navigate the bounce houses and I even threw her a rope a time or two. I encouraged Landon to jump on in too. We played a few games of Air Hockey and loved it! I have been begging mom for quarters for months. She remembered them this time and given my overall mood this was the big time. We were out really late the night before enjoying ourselves silly at Cirque du Soleil. It was FANTASTIC and we are so grateful Uncle Jeff was able to get us tickets...more on that later, but the point is...I was exhausted and just the slightest bit moody. Okay, to be honest, more than a little bit. In fact, I yelled at a kid because he was looking at me which I called laughing and then I insisted he was trying to take my blue drink. I even went as far as to correct him when he called it Gatorade...it was Powerade. On this day, it was a big difference...get it right kid! Then I was ticked that a big boy who I called a "dad" got in front of me. It did not matter that he was trying to help his little friend. He was pushing me out of the way. UGH! Let me be fair though, I had some tender moments too. In fact, mom wasn't quite sure how to handle this situation. A boy about my age was climbing into the jump house when I realized he only had 1 arm. I couldn't understand why he was made differently and I asked mom in a not so quiet voice, "Why he only have one arm? It grow back? But why? It hurt? How?" And on and on and on...
His mom was only a few small steps away from me, she could certainly hear my every word and so mom tried to do the polite thing. I don't know maybe you could chime in and respond. What would you want a parent to do if the roles were reversed? Mom took me by the hand and introduced herself to the parent. She explained that I was worried about her son and asked if she could reassure me that he was a strong, growing boy just like me. The parent seemed to appreciate the kind words rather than stares and said this was how her son was born. Mom then shared with me that God makes everyone different and that this little boy was 3 years old just like me. He could climb like me and he was strong and healthy just like me. He had one arm and that was different, but he was not sick and not hurt and he was able to do all the things I could do just in different ways sometimes. Mom remembers feeling the same overwhelming sensations as she was growing up and even now--bleeding heart syndrome strikes again. How was mom supposed to explain that this little guy was not a starfish or a lobster. His arm was missing and it would never come back. Yep, we are growing up and the time just keeps bouncin' along even if our moms want it to slow down. There are so many lessons to be taught, namely integrity, gratitude, tolerance, patience...there are so many times that mom just feels at a loss. She wants with all her heart to encourage God's gifts in me and to build my confidence and my to let my inner spirit just shine and yet there are moments she feels like it is just being squished to bits and she does not know how to fix it. My 3 year old spirit gets out of hand and frustrated and just plain crazy sometimes. Talk about a fall on your face prayer moment. Mom is realizing that 3 is just the beginning and flat on her face is exactly where she needs to spend some time. Can you relate? I am watching every move, listening to every word and analyzing every situation I am put in. Mom is still trying to make sense of it all and respond in thoughtful actions and love. It is not always easy, she doesn't always succeed, but she is trying and I love her for that.
As we were driving home a teachable moment was straight ahead. A homeless man holding a sign was pacing alongside our van at a stoplight. I didn't really take notice of him, but mom did. We had an extra bottle of water in the cup holder and mom knew she had to give it away. A 99 cent lesson and I got it! Mom rolled down the window and asked the man if he would like the water. He quickly took it and said he was thankful for everything he received. Oh, my eyes were open now. With out question, I responded, "That was nice mom. He was drinky and he need water. He is hungry. He need food." Mom really could not believe that I understood and yet she just thought, "Thank you Lord for giving my son such an amazing appreciation for life and such a capacity for love. He really is destined for greatness. Help us keep him strong in mind, body and spirit. Don't let us be stumbling blocks for him."
Want proof of how fast time has passed? Check out these 3 friends growing up...AMAZING...almost 4 years of friendship! (Mom will add more growing up pics as she finds them.)

0 comments: